Our History In 2015, Spring Road Community Kindergarten (Inc) celebrated 25 years at its Spring Road location. As it was then known, Kalamunda Pre-School opened for the new school year on 5 February 1990, in it’s brand-new purpose-built facility at 1a Spring Road Kalamunda. Architect and former parent Franco Carozzi designed the building in collaboration with the staff and parent Committee, and also supervised the build.
The kindergarten was relocated from its original Barber Street building following years of speculation and negotiations, due to the Shire of Kalamunda’s decision to make a town square on that site. The original building was marked for demolition by the Shire, yet it is still in use today as the Town Square Community Hall. The kindergarten’s name was changed to Spring Road Community Kindergarten in 1999, to better reflect what the centre had become known as, and to assist prospective parents to find it.
The kindergarten originally ran three sessions, catering for two age groups: 4 year olds attended two sessions of two hours per week; and 5 year olds attended four sessions of two and three-quarter hours per week. Over the years, sweeping changes to the public education system by the Department of Education have resulted in the current sessions, and the kindergarten now specialises in the pre-compulsory education of 4 year old children.
Spring Road is only one of two community kindergartens in WA who own their own building, an achievement which can be attributed to the dedication and fundraising efforts of the original Committee and Kalamunda Community.
Pre-Spring Road Kalamunda Kindergarten on Barber Street had been funded and constructed by the Kalamunda community, in a long-term project driven by the Kalamunda Kindergarten (original name) Committee. The community-built centre was opened in 1951, and educated decades of 4 and 5 year olds from the hills community. Prior to the Barber Street site, Kalamunda Kindergarten had operated as a “Play Centre” from a hall behind Kay’s Store on Haynes Street, which started in September 1947. Kay’s Store was owned by Mr Len Bennett, who was a trustee of the kindergarten for several decades. Mr Bennett officially opened the new building on Spring Road in April 1990, and there is a plaque commemorating this on the street side of kindergarten wall.